Postdoc position – Explainable AI and Federated ML in Healthcare – Lugano, Switzerland
December 23, 2022
The People-Centered Computing Lab in the Faculty of Informatics at the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) in Lugano, Switzerland is looking for a postdoctoral researcher (PostDoc) in machine learning (ML) and explainable AI (XAI) applied to healthcare.
The position is full-time and comes with a competitive salary and social security insurances: in accordance with Swiss regulations and based on prior experience, PostDoc salaries range from CHF 80’000 (gross) to 105’000 (gross) per year.
The position is funded by an EU (HORIZON) project featuring 13 project partners from 8 EU countries, including research institutions, medical centers, and companies. USI’s role will be the development of trustworthy, AI-based decision-support tools that will help health professionals and citizens reduce long-term risk of non-communicable chronic diseases (NCDs).
More specifically, the project envisions the usage of federated learning to ensure data privacy and the usage of XAI techniques including actionable counterfactual explanations in a privacy-aware manner using federated learning approaches.
Candidates should possess the following:
• PhD (or near completion) in computer science or a related field with a focus on ML.
• Demonstrated quality of research performance, as evidenced by high-quality publications in top-tier ML / AI conferences and journals (e.g., ICML, NeurIPS, IJCAI, AAAI, Information Fusion, IMWUT, JMLR).
• Strong programming skills, including experience with Python and deep learning libraries (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow, and Sklearn).
• Strong command of English, both orally and in writing
• Previous research on XAI and/or privacy-aware ML (e.g., federated learning) a plus.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “PostDoc application” and should include the following:
• CV with contact information for at least two references
• Transcript of records for MSc and BSc studies (PhD studies if applicable)
• 1-page statement of purpose (research interests & why you think you are a good fit)
The Faculty of Informatics at the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) is one of the largest research centers for Computer Science in Switzerland. Its vanguard educational model and passion for scientific research make it an ideal place to start an academic career, as it provides PostDocs with the ability to participate both in cutting-edge research and teaching. Around 200 researchers from around the world conduct research in key Computer Science areas such as AI and Systems on the newly inaugurated Campus EST in the heart of Lugano.
Application deadline: 1st of March 2023 (envisioned project start: 1st of May 2023)